So, as you may be able to decipher from the title of this post, the MV Skansonia will not be our wedding venue.
In theory it sounds great – 1920’s ferry boat about a mile from home, included catering, and a nice Lake Union setting.
– The decor looked like an overzealous rich Atlanta housewife had been the stylist. Lots of over-sized, over-stuffed, over-gilded furniture in inexplicable places all over the boat.
– 150 guest minimum on a summer Saturday night. We were hoping for around 75 guests. We can have it, but we’d have to pay for 150.
– The menu was fine, but overpriced and stuffy. Plus, we’d have to bring our own beverages. Not exactly full-service.
– The processional takes place in a cramped, closed, STEEP staircase leading from the upper deck to the front car deck (which looked MUCH bigger in the photos). A giant gangplank reduces the front deck ceremony site by at least 30%. Lame.
– The view is great – for about a 30˚ fan of the panorama. The rest is taken up by pseudo industrial boat storage yards, the Chihuly Boat House, Ivar’s, and the I-5 ship canal bridge.
– The deck where the ceremony, dining room, and dance floor would be located slants to either side. Kinda gave me vertigo.
It just didn’t feel right FOR US. I’m sure that they have put on beautiful weddings, but I just felt uncomfortable the whole time we were there. Gotta find something that’ll work for our personalities. We’re still looking for a maritime setting, but something that we can customize to our tastes and work with on a lower-key level will be best.
Anyone know someone with a house on a lake, Puget Sound beach, or other body of water we might be able to rent for a weekend?